|Posted on August 15, 2016 at 1:45 AM|
Over the years, I have seen a lot of drama online. It happens a lot on social media, internet groups, chat servers, and on email lists. It usually starts between two people and will escalate from there. Then members of the particular group will choose a person to side with, and then it will become an all-out war. Ultimatums are given, and people are told that if they don't delete the 'enemy' from their friend's list, they will be banned from the group. This leaves people with no choice but to choose between the friends they have made and the group they like.
Often the enmity goes much further than this, and people have gone as far as to jeopardize another person's safety. Posting a person's address or phone number for all the world to see is not acceptable, nor is making fake websites and social media profiles to make fun of another person. I couldn't count how many times I have seen that someone has searched a person's background, and then posted online the details of their life such as their employment history, criminal record, financial problems, disabilities, family issues, etc. Then there are those who gossip and make up stories about others and do whatever they can to turn everyone against them. This hurts the Satanic community and it is sad seeing this happen over and over again.
So, what can we do as Satanists to change things?
- If you have an issue with someone, go to them directly and state your case. Message them privately, instead of posting your issue on their Facebook wall or blog for others to see.
- Wait a few hours or even a day before messaging someone you are upset with. You don't want to say something while you are fuming with anger that you might regret later.
- If someone is harassing you or threatening you in some way, you might have to get someone else involved, but don't make it a spectacle on social media.
- Don't spread gossip.
- Realize that social media groups are just—social media groups.
- Try not to let what people say get to you. Focus on what YOU are doing and move forward.
- Don't let anyone bait you into getting involved in their fights.
- If you are a group leader, get arguments under control before they escalate.
- Don't share anyone's personal information.
- Don't lie about others.
- Don't believe everything you hear.
These are some basic suggestions, but when it comes down to it, use common sense. We are Satanists, and we don't have to act like idiots or children on a playground. Considering that there are many people out there who would love to cause us harm, we need to stand together as much as possible.
It is not easy to see people fighting in the groups you are in. You are there to share and learn with others, not listen to drama. Step back for awhile if you need to, but no matter what you do, focus on Satan and on your studies. Don't let the actions of others deter you from your path.
Categories: Satanic Community